Thursday, May 10, 2007

Teaching

Ever since I could remember, I wanted to be a teacher. I had really awesome elementary teachers in grade 3 and grade 4, and that was it, I was inspired. As I grew older and saw how some of my fellow classmates treated our high school teachers, I think I lost the love for it.

I'm so lucky, that now that I have a store I can teach. I can teach subjects I chose and group sizes that I chose. Don't get me wrong it hasn't been smooth sailing. Every group you teach has a different dynamic. Every student moves at their own pace. You can't just assume that if students don't have questions, that they understand the instructions.

Sometimes I get students who seem tired, frustrated and confused before they even sit down. What do you do then? What do you do when a student has given up before starting? What do you do when neither the student, nor the teacher enjoy the class?

I'm definitely not an experienced teacher, having taught for a little over a year, but I think I've learned some important lessons along the way, and I can only hope my students would say the same...

1 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Blogger Allison Cope said...

It must be so frustrating sometimes Sam! But yet so rewarding on the other hand!

I say, take it all in a stride! Everyone will learn something at every class.... even the teacher.

Hugs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home